Monday, August 15, 2011

Found this interesting quote - young readers take heart!

Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practise on life itself; which in turns makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on. You have only to teach literature to realise that most young readers are poor noticers. I know from my own old books, wantonly annotated twenty years ago when I was a student, that I routinely underlined for approval details and images and metaphors that strike me now as commonplace, while serenely missing things which now seem wonderful. We grow, as readers, and twenty-year-olds are relative virgins. They have not yet read enough literature to be taught by it how to read it.

How Fiction Works, James Wood, Vintage Books, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment